Kids4
Kids4 asks:
Q:

I have a kindergartener and his teacher wants us to let him have another year of kindergarten due to immaturity. Do we have a right to let him go ahead to 1st grade?

Do I have a right to let my kindergartener go ahead to the 1st grade?? She just says that he is immature and just a little slower than the other ones..I don't see why really due to the facts. I have a older son than him and they did say the same thing and we didn't see no improvement in him. In fact, he has more of a hard time now and they did nothing for him until i want to them on it. So see this is where i am at..So did we have rights on this???
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

Allyn Anderson

Sounds as if your son has had a rough time this year in kindergarten. Have you had a chance to observe your child at school? This might give you some answers when you see him working with children his age. Try to schedule an appointment with your child's teacher to do this.

All public school have programs relating to "Child Find." These services were established to help identify students at a young age who were not developing like their peers and who might need additional learning support. These services are made up of a group of professionals who take a look at the total child --- educational habits, visual and hearing capabilities, general overall development, etc. The principal of your child's school could direct you to these services. I've found that often the secretary to the school superintendent often is able to direct your request; give that office a call if your principal isn't able to help. This route may you can get someone to help answer your questions at the local school level.

Good luck in your search. Ms. A

2
1

Sorry to hear about your son's situation.

It sounds like you've spoken with your son's teacher about your concerns -- have you tried speaking with the principal? The school district may also have some information about its policy with regard to retention. If you don't have their contact information, look up the school in SchoolFinder and click on the district website link (on the school page, it's under the school's address & phone). http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/

I found a few articles on Education.com that you may find relevant:

Should Your Child Repeat Kindergarten?
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Your_Child_Ready_for_First_Grade/

Should Struggling Students Repeat a Grade?
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Should_Struggling_Students/

Additionally, here are some similar questions from other JustAsk members, that received a variety of answers you might review as well:

http://www.education.com/question/son-repeat-kindergarten-grade/

http://www.education.com/question/retaining-child/

http://www.education.com/question/live-mississippi-wondering-5-year/

All the best to you and your family as you work to resolve this issue. Hope you find the above resources helpful to the process.

3
0
tink
tink writes:
Although I don't know what state you are from, but alot of states don't require kindergarden we just do it to help our children get a head start. If it is required, as long as the benchmarks are met for that grade they have to let him move on. Do your research know your facts and present them in a firm respectful manner.

0
0
EducationWorks Academy
EducationWo... , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
Yes. It would depend on the state jurisdiction for public education where you live.

0
0
woodkinder
woodkinder writes:
Why would you want your son to go on?  If he is struggling now and you do not allow him time to become mature and as ready as his peers, he will struggle more and more each year.  When he gets older and is not able to preform at the same level as he peers, he may begin to have problems with behavior to keep the focus off of his lacking school skills.  Give him time, his confidence will be better and he will be more successful if he can keep up with his peers in school.

3
0
~me~
~me~ writes:
I believe that you can go ahead and send your child to first grade!
But I would say that if you want to try it go ahead, That your child might have slow maturity, and that it could be a good idea to keep them in kindergarten for one more try! So he might get ahead of the others in the class and be smarter! But if you feel like you want to try to push him into the feel that he could do it go for it! It is your child ! Just ask the teacher if you can go ahead and put him in first grade!
What is the most importent is your childs education!

0
1
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
If it didn't work last year - it isn't going to work next year.  You first need to get to the root of the problem.  Is it a learning disability?  Is it a behavior or social situation that your child will need guidance in?  First, find out exactly why the teacher feels that your son is not ready for first grade.  Then, have him tested by the school for a learning difference.  If he has a learning difference then you will need to get the proper remediation and services for him.  Repeating Kinder isn't going to change anything.  He should move on to first grade but only with the proper remediation, accommodations and guidance to get him through the year successfully.

1
0
Dogfmly
Dogfmly writes:
Schools are usually very reluctant to hold a child back, so it's probably likely that they have sensible reasons for wanting to do so. Putting a slow learner in an even tougher grade is sometimes setting the child up for failure, and always being behind his grade level. It sounds as if you need to set up a meeting between you, the teacher, and the school counselor to address your concerns.

1
0
MissTeach
MissTeach writes:
Yes, most states let you have 'veto' power.  But I agree with many other writers.  Holding students back is usually a big decision for the school to make and needs a lot of evidence.  It's better to hold back in K then at an older grade.  I also agree to observe- but would ask to do so at recess or another time when your student doesn't know you're watching.

1
0
SoaringEagle
SoaringEagle writes:
Absolutely Do Not Hold Your Son Back!  This happened to me and it destroyed my life.  Find out why your son is "slow".  Do not take anything for face value.  Find out if he is Dyslexic, as I am.  In fact, I was just passed along to get rid of.  Teachers got frustrated with me.  That hated having me in their class, and I felt it every single day of school.  It was horrible.  

I was tested for learning disabilities, which I have, and for Asperger's, which I also have.  Again, do not let your child suffer as I have.  There is no need for this.

I wish you and your family much luck.

0
1
momosan1
momosan1 writes:
You definitely have a right to fight this. It is just her suggestion, nothing more. Kindergarten isn't even required in some states!

Here's a question for the teacher. What process does the school board have to determine a child's "immaturity"?  I guarantee she will not have an answer for you because school is based on academic performance, and not a personal perception of how a student should act by a certain grade level. If that was the case, I would have never graduated!

I have this problem too. The teacher wrote my husband and I that our 5 year old does not do "neat" work, and is "immature". I asked for the states requirements....and of course she backtracked.
Her statements were based on her personal perception and nothing more. I challenged her, and she backed down.

So speak up, it's your right :)    Good luck :)

0
1
queensheba
queensheba writes:
Yes, you have the right to let your child move on to the first grade.  The kindergartener teacher can make that suggestion but teacher can not stop your child from advancing to first grade.  My son had an early birthday so his teacher made that suggestion but my son moved on to first grade.

0
0