Q:

LaTrivia asks: Can you suggest a college in Atlanta area where I can take my 15 year old brother on tour to motivate him?

Asked on behalf of an Education.com visitor who emailed:

"Hello, I want to know if there is any way you could give me a college that I could take my 15 year old brother to, to motivate him on his future education? Would like to possibly talk to some athletes too. I'm in Atlanta, Georgia."
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Getting ready for college, Sports and athletics

|
bob , Parent writes:
Georgia Institute of Technology...Georgia Tech.  See link below.  I worked with a few people in the computer science department there and they were top notch.  The athletics program isn't "Big Ten" (I went to Purdue myself, in Indiana) but strong nonetheless.  Very good school.  Lots of exciting things going on there.  Check out their web site.

It's not in Atlanta, but Clemson University, a couple of hours northeast up I-85 just over the South Carolina border, is a fine school.  I've known quite a few people who have gone there, especially when I lived in Greenville, SC.  Very good athletics program and they have campus tours you can sign up for.

1
0
ingrid
ingrid writes:
Without knowing much about your brother, it's hard to recommend specific colleges that would motivate him. But here are some other suggestions:

1) Have him visit during a college's homecoming. School spirit is high during homecoming, and maybe some of that will rub off on him. College web sites have calendars that give homecoming dates. Because they are not all on the same day, your brother could visit a few colleges during homecoming season.

2) Help him find a mentor. Most colleges have community service organizations where college students volunteer to mentor or tutor teens and younger children. By getting connected  with a responsible young man in college, he may be better able to see himself in college, and see the importance of it as well. Also, a mentor might be someone who could take him to campus events in line with his interests.

3) Connect him with recent graduates of his high school who attend college in the area.  Maybe he could spend a weekend at college with an alumnus from his high school. Does his high school have an alumni association? If not, a guidance counselor may be able to help you find recent grads in nearby colleges. Social networking sites could also you find recent grads.

You can send me a message if you need any more guidance on the suggestions above. Your brother is lucky to have you looking out for him!

1
0
Trivia
Trivia writes:
<p>Thank u so much for the feedback. My brother comes to stay with me every summer since 5yrs old &amp; the small town that we r from in NC doesnt offer much motivation for young boys. Living here in Atl i see &amp; hear alot of young people talking college talk &amp; i just want 2 make sure my brother is n the loop. He aspires 2 play basketball for a college in the future. @ an early age he was held back twice &amp; also diagnosed w/ADHD so i want 2 do my part by getting started on his future.</p>

0
0
Anonymous