Anonymous
Q:

Is there a law regarding adult-to-child ratios at summer camps?

Our city (in California) is hosting a summer camp for kids ages 8 to 16 that takes the participants on various field trips within an hour's drive of the city. Trip destinations include: local amusement parks, swimming lakes, beaches, museums and more.

I recently learned that the adult chaperone-to-child ratio on these trips will be 14 kids per adult. This sounds unsafe to me, particularly for the younger kids (as well as for the older teens - who could easily find a way to get separated on purpose).

Are there any state or federal laws that govern adult-to-child ratios at summer camps? I know I can choose to opt out of this city-run camp (and select a more expensive private option with better ratios). However, I also think they should adjust if they aren't currently following the law with regards to safe supervision ratios. Thanks for any information or links you have.
In Topics: Camp and summer enrichment

|

pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi…

All after school programs and camps operating in California must meet Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations which states that the ratio for adult to child must be:

Infants (birth to 18 months old) -1:3 adult-child ratio  

Toddlers (18 months to 36 months old) -1:4 adult-child ratio

Preschool (36 months to enrollment in kindergarten) - 1:8 adult-child  ratio

Children enrolled in kindergarten through 14 years old - 1:14 adult-child ratio

I’ve include a link below if you want to read more about it.

Vicki

1
0