kirking
kirking asks:
Q:

What should I do to help student with midline problem and reading?

I have a student who is so bright in all subject areas and athletic, but reading is so laborious for him. I have noticed there may be a mild midline issue. He can't make the lazy 8 in front of him and he has problems grabbing his ear/nose and switching. Are there mild cases? Any advice on what I should do to help him with reading?  Note: Writing is one of his stronger areas also.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:

You're correct, there is a connection between midline development and reading. Check out this article:

"Kids unable to cross the bodyâs midline often have trouble reading and writing. Both of these skills require a type of coordination that comes from experience with cross-lateral motion (movement involving the left arm and right leg or the right arm and left leg at the same time, like a babyâs crawling or creeping)."

I suggest contacting your school's learning or speech specialist or school counselor to see if they have any suggestions or expertise in the area.  It's great to hear from such an observant teacher, keep up the good work!

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
There are many issues that can be involved when dealing with a child who has possible midline crossing problems.  Is he unable to cross midline going both directions or only one direction?  Has he had his eyes checked? Often with midline problems, there may be a midline jerk when eyes cross midline which can interfere with reading.  You may want recommend a developmental optometrist or ophthamologist to check out his eye tracking.  If it is mild, have the appointment made when the child's eyes are tired, not first thing in the morning. An occupational therapist is often a good source of information on midline crossing.

1
0