collegegirl
collegegirl , Student asks:
Q:

Is my mom going to flip or what?

I'm 17 in college and I really want to tell my mom about my boyfriend. I'm scared to tell her because of my past with guys and bad situations that I have been in. But, this guy is awesome. He is a senior in high school and he is one year older than me. There is nothing bad that my mom could possibly say about him. Me and him have been "dating" for almost 4 months now. I'm really scared that if I tell her that she might do everything in her power to make sure that me and him can't see each other. I really love him and his family. They are all very awesome.I'm afraid I'll loose him if I tell him. What should I do? HELP?
In Topics: Teen issues, Teen sexuality and dating

|

It is probably a good idea to bring this into light with your mom.  Hiding the fact that you are dating someone may cause her to lose trust in you.  You don't want that.  

We understand that you are being very cautious in letting her in because you fear she will not approve.  You could always let her know that you interested in someone and give her an idea as to what you like about him.  Inviting him over to meet her would be a great idea for her to see how great he is.  

Find a time to talk with your mom.  The best time is when there are no distractions around and you feel she would be open to talking.  Think about what you want to say before you start your discussion and keep an open mind.  You both will have concerns and it is best to let one another voice them.  

We hope this has been helpful.  Keeping this a secret may be more harmful than not.  

If you feel you would like to discuss this further, please reach out and talk with one of our counselors.  We are here 24/7.

Take care,
1-800-448-3000
0
0

artemis.of.the.moon
artemis.of.... , Student writes:
You should introduce him to your mother in person, and let her decide for herself how she feels about him. If he's as awesome as you say he is, then she shouldn't have any issues with him. She should be respecting your decisions and if his family accepts you, then she should at least try to accept him and his family...

If this boy is a breath of fresh air in the cloud of bad boyfriends of the past, then she should embrace it.

But you'll never know until you try. Cross your fingers, hope for the best. And tell him to be himself, but very polite. (Major props with the mommas.)

2
0