Anonymous
Q:

My mother won't listen to a thing I say. What do I do?

I've tried reasoning with her many times and she still won't listen.
For example, once I was late to getting to bed on time. I asked her why she wouldn't let me take responsibility for for my actions and that I knew what the consequences would be. She only said "Because I said so and you have to listen to me. Go to bed or I will tell your father."

This hurts me so much emotionally and I don't know what to do.
In Topics: Teen issues

|

Sounds like you are pretty frustrated with not getting through to your mother and not having control of your own actions.  The feeling of not having control can be very hurtful and cause pain inside you.  However, that doesn't mean you have control of other things.  Such as you going to bed, but still hanging out in your room once you get there.  You could follow the rules, but still gain control by adjusting them within the rule.
Try and talk to your mother when everyone is calm and there is not an issue currently being faced.  This will give you the chance to talk with her before an issue arrises.  The website below offers tips on how to talk to your parents.  Good luck!

JV, Counselor
0
0