Winburn
Winburn asks:
Q:

Is a non-verbal adult male w/mrdd who bangs his head on the wall, eats staples, runs away, sets off alarm, and barges into meetings a 1 to 1 ratio?

I am an art and music instructor at an adult day care facility. I have been placed in a situation in which I was asked to look after an adult client in a wheelchair w/mrdd and muscular dystrophy and the other client with apx. the IQ of a 1 to 2 year old at the same time. The other client is an adult male w/mrdd as I mentioned who is a "runner" and has run out the door, eats non-food items such as staples, erasers, runs away, sets off the fire alarm, barges into each office, bangs his head on the wall and hits his chest. It is impossible to look after both. On top of this, the nearby pre-school came over for my music  instruction while I had to care for these 2 or 3 clients at times! Please advise. Thanks.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/ment...
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Special needs, Mental retardation

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I am so sorry that your current situation is frustrating and making you so uneasy.  I believe that you may wish to connect with the legal guardian/ case worker of the young adults in question.  It may be that additional assistance is needed due to safety and their well being.  Associations such as ARC may be of helpful, too.

Also, consider using sign language and/or augmentative technology to help with communication.  This probably will not help the pica (staples) etc. but may ease some of the situation.

Louise Sattler, School Psychologist
Owner of Signing Families

0
0
Anonymous