Anonymous
Q:

My older sister recently attempted to commit suicide, and my younger sister cuts herself.  What do I do?

My family has a history of bipolar disorder, which my mother takes medication to keep in check.  Neither of my sisters has been diagnosed with this disorder, and yet both spend half of their time depressed and half out having the time of their lives.  In this past year, my one sister (age 21) attempted suicide, while my other sister (age 17) was discovered to be cutting herself and drinking herself sick.  My parents have been getting my sisters counseling, but they're afraid to punish them for fear of exacerbating their behavior.  Meanwhile I'm stuck in the middle, and I don't know whether to personally confront my sisters or just let my parents deal with it.  It seems any time anything is brought up, it's brushed back under the rug, and the silence is killing me...What should I do?
In Topics: Teen alcohol and substance abuse, Cutting, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
Anonymous