fritzr
fritzr asks:
Q:

In which order should kids see the Star Wars movies?!

My brother has two daughters, one age four and one age seven.  Recently he introduced them to Star Wars.  He had them watch episodes 4,5, and 6 before 1,2, and 3.  This is of course the way George Lucas released them and the way we grew up with the whole story.

But is this the correct way to view the movies?  Technically the entire series is about Anakin Skywalker, his rise, fall, and redemption.  To understand the full story arc one should view the movies in the proper sequence 1-6.  If you start with 4, you think the story is about Luke.  

That said, Lucas completely ruined any surprises for somebody watching the series in the correct order.  I can just see a young viewer watching the movies in the correct order saying "Gross, he kissed his sister." before it was ever revealed Luke and Leia were related.  It also completely negates the entire surprise ending of The Empire Strikes Back when Vader tells Luke he's his father, the pivotal moment of episodes 4,5 and 6.  

So which is best - the historical order or the revisionist order?
In Topics: Children and screen entertainment (TV & movies), Family fun / holiday celebrations

|

JeanneBrockmyer

In my view, the Star Wars series is a group of movies that tell a very interesting and complex story.  I am concerned, however, that the children you reference are ages four and seven.  Most media experts would agree that some content in this series is simply not appropriate for young children.  Therefore, it is difficult to respond to your question about the order of viewing, given my general concern about how young children may respond to the content of the films.  I am sure that your brother does have his daughters' best interests in mind, but he may not be aware of how violent content may affect some children. The mediawise network at mediafamily.org is an excellent resource for parents who are concerned about their child's media experience.    

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
(formerly Jeanne B. Funk)
education.com clinical child psychology expert

0
1
Phyllis Tortie

Best Answer!

Well, when it comes to Star Wars (and Star Trek), I'm a purest.  The story evolved as it was supposed to, so I really think people should watch the original series and then watch the newer movies.  Even Darth Vadar makes more sense if you watch the original movies first. Especially his relationship with Luke.

Go with historical. It's how things should be. And may the force be with you. :)

3
0

Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Haha..great post ending, Phyllis!<br />
<br />
I couldn't help but smile at your post. I absolutely agree. I'm also a fan, and think that it makes more sense to watch them in the order they were created. :)<br />
<br />
Any other movie fans out there?<br />
<br />
Edu-Katherine<br />
Community Team<br />

0
1
Nathan
Nathan writes:
Present them as they were originally introduced! It is the ONLY way!<br />

1
0