aalbright
aalbright asks:
Q:

What organizations exist to help spread the awawreness of high risk teen driving?

The 16 year old daughter of a coworker of mine was killed last weekend in a car accident.  The family is devistated.  As a result, they've been forced to learn the facts about teenage driving and the statistics that say 1 in 4 will be in a bad accident.  Now they're looking for an organization that helps raise the awareness of high risk teen drivers and what parents & teens can do to get through this critical period.  Aside from this site, is anyone aware of an organization that I can put them in touch with?  Our employer is also intrested in making a donation in their daughters name.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks
In Topics: Teaching my teen to drive

|

I am very sorry to hear about the tragedy that has befallen your coworker. I think that it is wonderful that you are trying to support your coworker during this very difficult time. As you have noted, the number of teens that are killed or injured in motor vehicle accidents each year is truly staggering. Indeed, motor vehicle accidents are the single biggest killer for teenagers - more than AIDS, street violence, and drug use combined.

Here are a couple of organizations that are doing good work in this area:

Safe Teen Driving Club
http://www.safeteendrivingclub.org/

Partners for Safe Teen Driving
http://www.safeteendriving.org/

Also, we have dedicated a section of this site to the topic:
http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_TeenDriving/

Laura Compian, Ph.D.
Education.com Reference Team

0
0

Wayne Yankus writes:
Try the American Academy of Pediatrics website www.aap.org as well as many insurance companies.  These companies such as Liberty Mutual of Boston worked with the AAP to help pass legislation for graduated drivers licenses in many states.  Also speak to a representative of the AAA or your state's department of banking and insurance for where donations might be sent.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0
ALewis1
ALewis1 writes:
There are many organizations that exist to help spread awareness of teen driving safety, and driving safety in general. Many of them, such as the Driving Safety Foundation, go on the road to teach safe driving skills. As a driving educator, I also recommend that parents put their children through a defensive driving class when they get their license. Online courses such as DefensiveDriving.com often have teen-specific modules that can be very helpful to new drivers. Of course, no course is ever enough preparation for the realities that we encounter on the road everyday.

1
0
ACreed
ACreed writes:
Very sorry to hear about your co-workers loss. In the last four years, three teen family members of friends have died from auto related injuries. It puts life into perspective.

There are a number of organizations that focus on teen driver safety including http://www.teensafedriver.com/ and the National Safety Council. Alternatively you might also consider going to a standard defensive driving online program. While they don't specifically focus on teen safety they do offer the fundamental skills. Defensive Driving For Dummies (www.DefensiveDrivingForDummies.com) offers online courses that are state-approved and cover all the main topics (texting while driving, alcohol use, etc...).

Stay safe - AC

1
0
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Hi aalbright,

Off the top of my head, I can name SADD (used to be Students Against Drunk Driving I believe, but now stands for Students Against Destructive Decisions), and Sober Graduation through your local highway patrol or police. Sober Grad is more about bringing awareness to drunk driving, but it's related. There was also an organization that came to my high school and did an intense, realistic mock-disaster presentation of a car wreck...a little heavy-handed, but I heard it was effective. Can't remember the name but you may want to look into that as well.

Jody

0
0
Anonymous