leemar
leemar asks:
Q:

Am I just an overprotective mother or should I insist that my 18 year old be tested for AS?

my son was diagnosed with OCD when he was seven but had sensory integration, auditory processing problems.  He is bright so never was able to receive school services even with testing results of symptoms.  He is now on disability for OCD.  I was told by a child development clinic recently that OCD is probably not his only diagnosis.  Since he just turned 18 I can't do anything without his permission and he is not receptive to any more testing but I feel it would benefit him to understand himself and manage his life in the future.  He is still dependent on me but through counseling he is learning to become more independent.  I think a diagnosis of AS is important. I mentioned this to his psychiatrist and was told that AS is a language problem and he has no language problem.   Also, this psychiatrist has never looked at his testing results for the last ten years and never speaks to my son during his visits. Just prescribes meds which my son stopped taking because he said it doesn't help him.  Any feedback to help me think I'm not being an overprotective mother trying to put another diagnosis on my son would be appreciated.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

with any child/adult with special needs, it helps to have periodic re-evaluations.  In this era of evidence-based medicine, we as physicians (inc. psychiatrists) need to ask the questions of our patients often.

I would find a new psychiatrist to re-evaluate your son if he is willing.  Explain to your son that the benefits to him are great as he plans his adult life and continues his independent living.

AS is not only language based but includes social skill issues as well.  It is a combination of many things.

You are not over protective, but concerned.  I appreciate that and I appreciate that he is over 18 and will need to make this decision.

Good luck in resolution.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0