Major13
Major13 asks:
Q:

Am I overreacting by wishing he had received more punishment?

A boy approached my 12 year old daughter from behind, held her arms down and placed a cloth over her mouth and nose, telling her to take deep breaths.  He told her that it was Chloriform and told her not to go to sleep before midnight or she might die.  The boy is a year older than my daughter and a lot bigger.  The  cloth placed over her face was actually soaked in rubbing alcohol, not Chloriform.  My daughter was terrified! The school didn't even contact us.  The boy's parents were contacted and he received 4 hours of detention on Saturday.  We don't feel this was enough.  I feel he should have been suspended for at least two days.

|

It sounds like you had to find this out from your daughter.  This student put your daughter at risk by placing an alcohol drenched clothe over her nose and mouth.  The school may simply be following policy with the suspension, but the fact that they did not inform you when this happened is very concerning.

As a parent, you have a right to know if your daughter's safety was put at risk.  Look over the school handbook policy.  If policy was not followed bring it to the school's attention immediately.  Even if it was followed, request a meeting with the administrative office.  Find out what safety measures have been put in place so the likelihood of this happening again are minimal.  Also, talk to your daughter about a safety plan should she find herself in a position like this again.  How can she defend herself?  Who should she report to?  Is there something she can do to avoid being by this other student?

You probably do have the option of reporting to police as well.  They will determine based on information given whether it warrants a charge or not.  There are some good bullying articles out there.  Have your take a look at some of them.  It might empower her to not only to protect herself, but give her some tools to use if she finds herself in that position again.

Laura - Crisis Counselor

0
0

graceh5
graceh5 writes:
No that is one of the worst thing that can ever happen. I also agree that he should have had at least two days of suspension.

0
0