clynn13 asks:

A parent sent me an email complaining my 13-year old 8th grade son is bullying her son. Should I show him the letter to address her specific examples?

Your son's behavior is a problem. He may not understand how his teasing or name-calling affects others. Children need to learn about empathy for others- understanding the feelings of other people. How would he feel if someone bullied him or a sibling? What can he do to correct the situation? (An apology in person, a letter, do something positive for the person) He needs to decide what to do to understand the other boy.

There are some excellent books available on the topic of bullying. Ask the school counselor or librarian for suggestions (or google the topic for middle school students).

On a larger scale, have your son volunteer for the Special Olympics, a youth group that helps younger children, Boy Scouts, community or church groups. Service learning leads to empathy.

Check out resources on bullying, including movies, projects, etc.