answer
answer asks:
Q:

Can a parent force a 16 year old son to go to a psychiatrist for depression?

Can a parent force their 16 year son to go to a psychiatrist for depression or any other mental illness?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
In Topics: Depression

|

EdieRaether

Therapy will tend to not be effective if there against one's will.  Learn positive persuasion and influence and what motivates him.  
Discussion and questions will help, but a therapist knows how to ask those questions so the cycle continues.  A good therapist could give you guidance on this as that is where I often start with getting the job done!
Edie

0
0

badass1
badass1 writes:
i think if anyone suffers from any depression disorders its up to the parent to force child even if child is older to go to a psychiatrist it will make both u and child feel better id say bringing child to a professional is an obligation. on a different note try to select a trusted psychiatrist who your child can unload on.

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Edie

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
On second thought, I would first try with influence and persuasion and I can do that, but if that is not your core competency and the child is seriously depressed, you do have to take action.  I just like to get it done WITH them, but you may have no choice but to say, I LOVE YOU and thus I need to get you help.   Do it with love so the child doesn't feel you are an adversary.  
Hope this helps.

0
0