Daisy Flower
Daisy Flower asks:
Q:

What is a parent to do about PG movies being played in school?

The teacher has played "The Cat in the Hat" rated PG starring Mike Myers to the kindergarten class with out consent from parents or Principal.  She has played other PG movies in the past also with out consent.  The school has a no movie policy for the Elemetary school.  There have been meetings to resolve this and there conclusion is she agreed not to play anymore movie's.  The problem here is she feels she has done no wrong.  How can she be trusted?  The decision doesn't feel right to me.  She was caught this time because there was a voleenter in the room at the time.  I think a camera placed in the room would be the solution.  She is an elderly teacher and is head of the teachers Union.  Am I going overboard?
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school

|
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Daisy Flower,

As a mom, I know how scary it is to put your child in someone else's hands for six hours a day. If you can't get to a place where you trust your child's teacher and the school you'll be a basket case every morning when you send your child off to school every day!

That said, I don't think I agree with the idea of monitoring the teacher with a camera all day. If there are concerns about the safety of the kids while they're in her care, then she she shouldn't be in the classroom. But being a teacher is a REALLY hard job, and it would be impossible to make all 20+ sets of parents completely happy all day. Opening herself up to minute by minute scrutiny would be incredibly hard and distracting and would keep her from ever being a great teacher.

It sounds like the school and teacher were responsive to parents' concerns about the movie situation and that PG movies won't be shown any longer. That's actually a great sign - it doesn't always go that way!

Are there other things you're worried about besides the movies? Is she otherwise doing the kinds of things you think are appropriate for your kindergartner? If you have other specific concerns, I'd ask to have a meeting with the teacher and the principal to share them. Maybe you could request that she communicate more with parents about what's going on in the classroom by posting her lesson plans or sending home a weekly note.

If you really can't get comfortable with the idea of your child being in the teacher's class, you may need to think about changing classes or schools. But remember that NO teacher or school is perfect. And no one will ever have exactly the same ideas as you about what's right for your child. So if the teacher is mostly doing the best thing for your child, and if the school is responsive when she doesn't, I'd try to make that situation work before you put yourself and your child through the stress of making a big change.

3
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
Dear Daisy Flower,
As a teacher myself I pay close attention to what I show in the classroom.  There are many copyright laws that prevent movies just being shown.  If the teacher does want to show a movie, there has to be documentation showing how it is going to be incorporated into the lesson plans.  Was she planning to compare and contrast the movie with the book?  Was there a reason that she chose the real movie?  I think that it is good that the school is trying to be proactive.  No matter what kind of things school does, there are always going to be the teachers that don't realize errors in their teaching.  As a parent if this situation came up again, I would ask to see lesson plans?  Most schools require teachers to submit lesson plans before.  Good Luck!

2
0