labelsareforsoupcans
labelsarefo... asks:
Q:

My parents want to change who I am? (Or at least try to prevent me from being the person I want to be.)

I know, I know, the first thing I'm going to get is, "Talk to a counselor!" or "You're only 14, you're too young to know who you are yet!". However, I have to strongly disagree with the notion that no teenager knows who they are right off the bat. I've known very well the kind of person I am since I was pretty young. I'm aggressive, a bit rowdy, and generally just want to have fun and live my life without disturbance, but my parents don't seem to want that for me because their preconceived idea of what I want is associated with negative things. Let me explain. Today, I asked both my parents if I could dye my hair a darker shade of brown. They both immediately said no, and my mother even suggested I dye it blond instead. With their reaction, I'm just glad I didn't ask for the neon blue streaks I've always wanted! And I can only imagine what the look on my mother's face would be like if I were to show her my real taste in clothing and accessories (think black, neon, and cat ears) My mother is constantly fighting with me about how I should wear more feminine clothes, act like a lady (which is not at all my style, ladies don't skateboard). I know this seems like kind of a petty thing, but I could go on about how else they want to change me. It just wouldn't all fit in 1500 characters. :)
In Topics: Teen issues

|
leamichelle
leamichelle writes:
you should listen to them they know whats best for you just act like a lady in front of them and act however you want when their not around and if they see you acting like a lady they might trust you more then start being a little unhapppy and they might see that they should accept you for being you

0
2
amjacksonjr
amjacksonjr writes:
Your parents just want you to be similar to them because of course that is what they understand and what they think is best for you. You need to explain to them that it actually hurts for them to force force you into another mold. You need to give them the reasons why you want them to accept you and why it would absolutely hurt you to force yourself to be anything else and that you cannot understand why they would want to intentionally or unintentionally hurt you. It does not matter if you know who you are or not, what matters is that you are a human being very much equal to them.

0
0