lizsmith69
lizsmith69 asks:
Q:

Is it the parents decision or the teachers to repeat a year?

My daughter is 6 years old and in year 1 in a NSW Public School. We would like to repeat her for maturity reasons and social reasons. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who knows if it is the Teachers/Principals decision or does the Parent have the final say?
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school

|
cmgasp
cmgasp writes:
Some district do not allow repeating in elementary school at all, and others allow either the parent or teacher to make the decision to hold a child back.  In most cases the final say is up to the parent, but in some district this only means the school will not hold a student back if the parents wants them promoted.  I would start keeping some documentation of reasons, both maturity and academic reasons,  such as poor grades and getting in trouble for things a first grader should know not to do.  Ask for a conference with the teacher and the principal in January to discuss holding our daughter back.  If she attends an after school program, ask the staff about any social and maturity issues they notice as well.  You could run into problems if she is on grade level for math and reading and if she technically 'passes', they could force her on to the next grade.

0
0
emily-
emily- writes:
I know some schools don't let anybody get held back but at my school, if you fail the grade you are forced to be held back. If you pass, the parent may choose for their child to be held back. Just speak to the principal about it before school starts.

0
0