herm12
herm12 asks:
Q:

Is there any research available that would support the idea that the more schools a single family's children attend, the less likely that family's parents are able to/willing to volunteer or get involved in their children's school?

I believe that if our town reconfigures its three separate K-6 schools into three grade-level schools (K-1; 2-4; 5-6), there will be a decrease in parental involvement. A family's children will be separated, rather than all together in the same building for 7 years. Is there any proof that a narrow grade configuration would cause a drop in parents ability/motivation to get involved with their children's schools?
In Topics: Working with school administrators, My Relationship with my child's school

|

You are concerned that separating the grades may limit parental involvement. My experience and knowledge does not support the idea that parental involvement would decrease, but it may not look the same. More than likely the decision to consolidate and separate the grades is economic. Parents who volunteer will continue their involvement with the schools, and may need to divide their time and make decisions about their level of involvement. Positive opportunities for parents to volunteer and be involved at the district level may be created.

1
0