Q:

Where can parents without jobs get free school supplies?

"I am looking for where I could get free school supplies. We are parents without jobs and looking for work. I am just trying to look for a web site. It was on a news channel, but I cant seem to find it. Thank you."

Asked by Talluhan via email.
In Topics: Back to school

|
nicjmartin
nicjmartin writes:
I don't know where you can get something like that, but have you tried checking the news channels website? Most likely they'll have a link to the website from there. I would check, but I have no idea what news channel it was on! lol

0
1
Hi Talluhan,

In addition to following up with the news outlet, you might also contact local churches and nonprofit organizations to see if they have a free school supply program. I'd also contact the school your child attends, as they may be able to refer you to local resources for school supplies as well, including the school's Parent Teacher Association.

If you're unsuccessful in acquiring the supplies for free, try lowering your school supply shopping costs by taking advantage of store sales or shopping at already low-price retailers like Walmart and dollar stores.

Good luck -- I hope you are able to secure the items your child needs to prepare for back to school and succeed in school.

1
0
wpsjrswife
wpsjrswife writes:
Frank Ogawa Plaza in Oakland, Ca is giving away backpacks filled with school supplies FREE August 23 2009. You have to register between 12:00 and 1:00p only the first 900 kids (pre-K -12) registered will receive them. There will be activities and special guest appearances until 5:00p.

3
0
sare-bear
sare-bear writes:
Hey look at criags list or for any back to school give aways. they normaly post them at least in the paper about a 2 weeks to a month before school starts and the date is normaly the week prior to the first day of school. I also have two kids that are about to start school and I am also an at home mom.

1
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
Hello Talluhan,

You may wish to ask at area box stores, such STAPLES or CVS.  Both of these chains have been collecting school supplies for area families for many years and have a good program.  The same may be true for your area  places of worship, the YMCA, or the Salvation Army.  Also, if your town has a local Kiwanis or Lions Club they may be able to help. The Kiwanis club has been very active with local collections in some areas. Lastly, please check with the school board office and  your public library for information.  I would think that the school has contingency plans for giving school supplies when families fall on hard times.  

I have added two links I found in addition to others mentioned by fellow posters.  I am hopeful that somewhere in your area someone has the answers and supplies for your family.  

Louise Masin Sattler

1
0
shoney12
shoney12 writes:
Check out local churches in your area.

1
0
rmerrion
rmerrion writes:
Each school usually has a coordinator that receives build a backpack or can direct you to local agencies that provide school supplies.

0
0