edison12345
edison12345 asks:
Q:

Why do parents think that no teen is responsible enough to be with some friends?

I asked this because my parents dont trust me in anything...no matter how much i try to show that im responsible
In Topics: Teen issues

|

Thank you for contacting Education.com

It also depends on your age.  Parent swill have different rules and expectation from a 13 year-old than from a 17 year-old teenager.  Even if you are responsible, your parents have the job of keeping you safe. They may have reasons to not want you to be around certain friends. On the other hand, if your parents don't know your friends, make a point of inviting them to your house sometime.

You say your parents don't trust you in anything. Don't stop showing them that you are responsible. One way of showing them your maturity is by asking them to sit down and talk with you about how you are feeling about them not trusting you. By opening up the communication you may both understand one another a bit more than before. And with more trust your relationship can grow.

Please call or e-mail our Hotline if you would like to talk to a counselor. We are here 24/7 for teenagers. Also check out our website for teens: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

Take care and best wishes to you!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
1
0

tamep
tamep writes:
Sometimes it's not that your parents don't trust you, it's a concern of your parents when a group of teens get together.  Sometimes teens make poor choices when they are in a group setting.  Teens have a tremendous amount of peer pressure and that's where things can go wrong.  I bet your parents only want the best for you and they know how quickly things can happen.  You may want to try to build up some trust with your friends AND your parents.  Make sure your parents have an opportunity to meet your friends and get to know them.  I know many of my teens friends and I know what friends are responsible and which ones are not.  Hope this helps!

2
0
shanece
shanece writes:
I know what you are saying. sometimes they base your behavior on what they did as a teen. They base that on what they see other teens doing.

0
0
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
I feel your pain, edison12345. This reminds me of a situation I got into when I was 13-going-on-14...I wanted to go to a music festival in the city with my friends. When I asked my parents, they said "No way". I threw a big fit, because I, personally, felt mature enough to go even if my friends weren't, and was appalled that they couldn't see how grown-up I was for my age.
Looking back, I've realized it wasn't ME they were concerned about, it was the world around me and my friends. I was mature for my age, but not mature enough to know what to do if we had gotten into a bad situation. This was before cell phones; I couldn't just call dad to come pick us up if we got lost!
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I know how it feels to be that age, and to feel like you could take over the world if it wasn't for those pesky parents! My only advice to you is to stick it out, and continue to show them that you are responsible and mature. I'm not saying you should bow to their every will -- sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in, and fighting with you parents isn't a bad thing, just a side effect of growing up and forming your own ideas and opinions. Even if you butt heads with your parents every now and then, you can still choose to carry yourself with good nature and level-headedness overall. You might even find yourself the recipient of some unexpected surprises for doing so (a present for a good report card, verbal praise for ignoring a bully...my mom once bought me a CD that I wanted because I chose not to skip school with my friends!) Parents can be a bummer, but rest assured that it will blow over in a few years, and all will be forgiven in the long run!

0
0