M.Mann
M.Mann asks:
Q:

Do I have to pay for the aide to stay for an after school practice?

My daughter is in 10th grade and has been in chorus since middle school.  She has an aide with her for chorus.  When the chorus teacher has after school practices and the concerts we have always had the aide there.  All of a sudden her teacher says this time around it is up to us to pay for someone to stay with her at the practices.  She says it is not the state's responsibility to provide an aide for her after school my daughter is labeled multiple disability- she has a syndrome.  This makes no sense to me!  Her teacher said she is amazed we got the go ahead for the aides as much as we have for the practices and concerts.  I thought if the child had an aide in school any after school activity gets an aide as well if one is needed. Am I wrong?

|

I am surprised that this change in providing the necessary support for after school activities was communicated by her teacher. The laws protect equity and access for all children. This means before or after school, especially since this support has been provided (precedent established). The school budget may have had cuts but to suddenly make you responsible for this cost seems misguided. Check with the district or state  Special Education. You may consider an advocate who is expert in Special Education.

0
0