SilverTiara
SilverTiara asks:
Q:

My peers are trying to bully me into suicide, the school staff's involvement isn't getting anywhere, what do I do?

I'm a senior in High School.  A former friend spread a lot of awful lies about me, to which I can no longer keep up with, and the person, along with a small group of the person's friends, has taken it upon themselves to try to bring my depression enough to lead me to suicide.  They all know very well that I have a sever case of depression, and am not medicated because I don't wish to worry my parents with it, so long as I can handle it.
Every day it gets worse, I can hardly walk through the hallways, I can't go outside of my own home without running into one of them, and I can't attend school functions, or even lunch...The internventionist is well involved in the matter, and has promised to talk to the students and try to end the problem. Nov 8, 2013 was the last time I talked with her, and the third time, to try and end this issue.  My grades are slipping, my mental health is slipping, and my physical health is suffering as well.  
At what point is the bullying something I can go to the police about? At what point is it no longer childish bullying, but serious life-threatening harassment? I'm so scared of breaking down, and never living to find out...I live in Missouri, and will appreciate any information anyone can give me to help me bring it all to a stop.  
Their harassment is: Verbal, including threats, passive agressive commentary and gossip
Physical, "Bumping" in halls
Non-verbal, discriminating me, ignoring me, giving dirty looks
It seems silly, but it is very s

|

It is great that you found the courage to reach out.  It is the first step to feeling better and to getting help. We are so sorry to hear that are going through such a difficult time.  We are concerned about you because no one or nothing is worth ending your life.  

Dealing with depression is hard enough and these people who are bullying you are not making it any easier.   Please keep in mind that we as individuals cannot control what other people (friends, peers, bullies, or your family) say, do, or how they act or feel.  All you can do is focus on yourself and be the best person you can be.  When we say focus on you what we mean is, do what you need to do to take care of yourself so that you don't have to think about what those bullies are putting you through.  You do not want them to have that power over you to determine your happiness.  

To help you deal with this issue and other issues, we encourage you to do things that you enjoy and that helps distract your thoughts from what you are going through.  Some suggested you might want to try are to exercise, read, journal, listen to music, or watch a movie.  Sometimes we feel it is others (friends and family) that makes us happy, but this is not true.  We are responsible for our own happiness, so once again, do NOT let these bullies mess with your happiness.

We know that you do not want to worry your parents, but believe it or not, your parents are your best support.  Let them know about the bullying and your depression.  They can get you help for your depression, and they can deal with the school to make sure the bullying stops.  

We hope that you find these suggestions and advice helpful.

Chris, Counselor
0
0

lawyer1
lawyer1 writes:
The first thing you need to do is sit your parents down and tell them everything that is going on . I know that right now you may feel that life is hopeless but there a light at the end of the tunnel . After you talk to your parents you may want to get school officials involved in some cases it can help . In many states there are zero tolerance laws . Pushing you is a technically assault and the school has to do something about it . I know fighting is not always the answer but you need to stand up for yourself . Talking to a counselor is also a good idea. Life is precious do not end your life over some other students. Talk to your parents before you do anything!

2
0
Chicaloves!
Chicaloves! writes:
Hi Silver.. First, let me say I'm really, really sorry that you're in this position of being bullied.  I know it's not fun and can be very devasting to you and your well-being. But trust me, thinking of taking your own life is not the answer.  You may feel like that's your only option, but it's not.  These little [content removed by JustAsk moderator] who are bullying you do not deserve that satisfaction. You arebetter than that and YOU DO MATTER.  I'm a parent and I have kids, and if anyone was bullying my kids or causing them pain, I would certainly make sure I would do whatever I had to do to get it resolved and to hold the culprit responsible.  Talk to your parents to let them know what's going on with you.  You shouldn't have to be going through this alone. If for whatever reason you can't talk to your parents about this, then find someone else.  I beg you. Talk to the school guidance couselor or your teachers, or your true friends.  If you have informed the school administration about the incidents and they still haven't done anything about it to make it stop, then yes, I would go to the police to see if they can help or what can be done about it.  Maybe, just maybe if you inform the school that you're thinking of going to the police they might begin to handle the matter differently.  My heart goes out to you and I will say a prayer and really hope you can find help to stop this bullying.  You're a senior in high school?  These bullies won't even matter once you graduate... but do graduate and do continue doing your best in school!  You have to stand strong too! I know first hand that it is not easy to do, but you have to be confident in yourself and you have to hold your head high. Seek counseling to hopefully help you.  There is help!  All kids deserve to be treated with respect!  Hugs to you.

2
0
tinawynn2009
tinawynn2009 writes:
It is time to act now. There is a lawyer who deals with bullying but he is in Ohio. He can help just google educational rights lawyers also go to the police and press charges now you are important! never forget that! you have rights just as much as they do! take charge let your feelings be known. it will continue until you make it stop! It wont be easy talk to your parents this effects them more than you think. there also is others like you band together stand up let your voices be heard! local media will help! remember it is your place to take care of you! ill be glad to talk with you and help as much as I can! Im here as a friend if you want.take care and God bless!

0
0
sherryc72
sherryc72 writes:
Whatever you do, do NOT do it. You are young, and have a whole life ahead of you. Is there someone you trust that you can talk to at school, at home, in your neighborhood, like a parent, doctor, friend, guidance councilor? You don't want to give those bullies the satisfaction of getting what they want. And what point is bullying something you can go to the police for? I would say RIGHT NOW! What these kids are doing to you is sick and they need to know that it is NOT ok what they are doing. And it is not silly, it is horrible and wrong!
PLEASE, please, go get help! Hugs. :) Keep your chin up.

0
0
COgada
COgada writes:
There are many things you can do which I believe many people most have told you. However I feel the most important of all of them is to Believe in your self. You are beautiful. You are awesome. You are good. You are intelligent. All the greatness is within you. You do need to believe in yourself. Every morning when you wake up in the morning go to the mirror and look at yourself in the eye and say to yourself: I love you. I believe in you. You are simply awesome. You are strong. Give yourself an awesome smile and spread this light that you see in your eye to all. Spread this energy you feel in your heart to your parents and those who love you. Then spread this energy to those who bully you. SEND THEM LOVE. when they bump into you or give you a dirty look, Give them a sweet smile and say to them (non verbally in your heart) "I LOVE YOU". Do this all the time and focus on the positive.... Silver, you have all it takes to turns things around, and I know you can do it.  - Charles

0
0