pgarvey
pgarvey asks:
Q:

I'm planning to homeschool my children and my friend's children.  How do we handle the days when I can't teach?

i am planning to homeschool my child as well as my friends children. She will pay me for this, however I am worried about a number of issues. what happens if me or my child are ill? what happens if I need maternity leave? Has anyone experienced similar issues? I would love to hear about any practical possible solutions to these problems
In Topics: Homeschooling

|
NewMexicoHomeschoolCommunity
NewMexicoHo... writes:
First of all research whether or not you are allowed to homeschool another person's children in your state, links can be found here on each state http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm  In most states it is NOT legal to homeschool children other than your own full time.

That being said many homeschoolers do have their kids participating in classes or other educational opportunities at one point or another run by another homeschooling parents, cooperative homeschool group, teacher or tutor so that could be an option for what you are doing.  

Legally if you are teaching a group of kids full time you are a 'school' and you should look into the laws and legalities of running this as a business out of your home.

There are many creative and legal options to run your classes the way you want-perhaps looking into it as a business is the best way especially in regards to liability insurance and days of illness or necessary leave.

2
0
MOMrus
MOMrus writes:
Also make sure you are willing to put your time into its a full time thing...and you have to report everything to the school plus take the state tests.. Homeschooling is not for every one or child.. right now I home school three and its take  while to get use to.. know am double guessing my self...

0
0
ASloane700
ASloane700 , Parent, Teacher writes:
Prepare in advance a binder filled with worksheets for grade level work for when this happens...I'm not talking a few days either, you need at least 4 - 6 months worth of work, just in case this does happen.  This happened to me a year ago...I was in a coma; however, my kids were able to continue on because I had not only a website for them to go to called Easypeasyhomeschool.com which goes from Pre-k to College level and yes it's free and it's a complete online school, but I had worksheets for everyone in case of an issue and for 2 months they were able to survive without me!!  Oh and by the way, we still use that above website because it's excellent and she can also be found on facebook in case you have questions from those of us that use her website full time!!  Hope this happens to be helpful!!

0
0