Anonymous
Q:

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 13 year old son who is having trouble in language arts in school, I have talk to him about it but he refuses to listen his thing is " I know " this semester her got a C in class teacher says he just do the work like paying no attention to it he is careless and refuses to cooperate I believe i have tried everything I even took his Ipod away and his dad told him if he gets his grades up he will get a phone. He answer " I don't want any phone " I'm desperate  I just wanna give up and let him be.........
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
vickibyrd
vickibyrd writes:
Oh..the dreaded middle school years. This is the time when kids are looking for an identity. He is simply trying to find his way. I would suspect that your son may be either depressed or distressed. He may be depressed by the fact that he thought he was on track but found that it is more difficult than he thought that it would be or he is distressed over you all making is such a big deal. Really I have no idea. It could be peer pressure, a girl or he may have a reading disability. In any case, please do away with bribing him with materialistic items to do better. He will begin to associate materialism with what is right and that is not so good. Save those rewards for good work and effort that has BEEN done. Thats why he said that does not matter to him. What matters to him is your time, your attention and your ear.

Now is the time to spend good quality time with him in a non competitive, attentive and open minded mode right now. He needs freedom to be quiet, thoughtful and open up about what is happening to him right now. Take him fishing, go on a bike ride, and adventure of some sort and then chit-chat about life. He will surprise you and begin to share his thoughts. Don't be critical and offer suggestions..not advice. I wish you much luck.

0
0
amcart
amcart writes:
Have you tried doing homework together?  If he is lacking focus, he may need someone to hold him accountable for taking his time and focusing on the task.  Try sitting with him, having him read each question aloud to you, and talking through each answer.  At this age, he may rebel against that at first, but if you let him know that he IS smart and IS going to be required to do his best, he may decide to cooperate.  Chances are, he senses your frustration and is feeling it too.

0
0
LISSAMEL84
LISSAMEL84 writes:
Tell him if his grades don't come up, you'll have to homeschool him.  Works every time!  At this age he enjoys the social aspect of school, and it seems that may be the main reason he enjoys going.  If he thinks that will be taken away, he will probably care a little more about his grades.  Having a little bit of literature on homeschooling printed up and casually sitting out where he can see it wouldn't hurt either.

3
0
jenifer_jayde
jenifer_jayde writes:
You should tell him that you are going to put a ban on his "awesome electronics" and tell him to STUDY HARDER!!! (p.s. NEVER GIVE UP ON ANYTHING) xoxo Jenifer

1
0