constance ceasar
constance ceasar asks:
Q:

How do I prepare my children for the Mississippi curriculum test?

how do we prepare our children for this test? my child attends madison crossing middle school in canton, mississippi.  what score should my child receive on this test?  will my child be held back if he does not pass this test?  in the future, is there a book that can be puchased with sample questions so that we can help our child at home?
In Topics: Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!), State education standards

|

michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
Hi Constance,

It is that time of the year for testing! These tests are not ones you can study for. As a former teacher I did my best to prepare my students. Many teachers give sample questions, namely multiple choice questions to prepare their stduents. They use workbooks that are aligned to the state test. When I taught in GA we had workbooks that were aligned with the state standards. I'm sure MS has the same type of books, so just ask the teacher.

I didn't really uses these books because they just make the kids test takers. I used a method designed by a teacher. I always had the kids analyze the questions. It is too in depth to go through here, but my suggestion would be to talk to the teacher and use these workbooks as a basis or starting point. Also, here is a link that has sample questions for the state of MS:

http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/

I tried to open the link titled "Mississippi Curriculum Practice Test Items" under the Find It Fast link bar. The link was broken so I would suggest calling the department. These questions will give you an idea of what is tested.

I am sure your son will do well. These tests are not the end-all be-all. They are a snapshot of what your child should be able to do. I find many times the exams do not do a good job a capturing what a child knows and how far they have grown throughout the year.

Finally, as for the score your son needs, here is a link to a table that shows the score. Mostly you needn't worry about the score. You need to focus on what level your son is placed. For instance in MS students are scored at four levels: minimal, basic, proficient and advanced. Your son needs to be in the proficient and advanced in order to be considered passing the exam. Here's the table: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/acad/osa/MCT_Proficiency_Levels.pdf

Best you and your son! Peace

1
0
Show me another question in this topic