JenMarin
JenMarin asks:
Q:

Preschooler has trouble w/ letter sounds. I also had trouble w/ phonics though I became an avid reader. Could there be something genetic? Is it a LD

I don't remember having a hard time learning to read (and did well in school), but there was concern that I wasn't doing phonics right. Just wondering if there's a genetic hearing thing going on? And I'm wondering if it's worth mentionning to a teacher? I'm not pushing her to read and I know she's still little, but I just want to do the right thing.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

CBrimmer
CBrimmer writes:
I can't remember ever having trouble learning to read either and yet have been diagnosed with dyslexia, since I learned to read as a young child, due to my mother reading to me since before I can remember, I didn't have the problems later in life. This may be the issue here just keep working on reading point to the word when you say it and keep going. The more you read to your child and let them say simple words to "help mommy read" the better. It could make the difference between doing well and falling behind in the future. Also watch when they start to write, are the letters formed reversed? are they swapping the last two? this could also be a sign. While I learned to read early, I avoided "alpha dyslexia", however I still have problems with NUMERIC dyslexia, basically the same but with numbers rather than letters and sounds. It could have a genetic component too, my mother and grandmother are the same way. Good luck and keep going!

1
0