tresa asks:

What is available for prescription drug abuse for adults?

We have a brother in Woodstock, Ga who is addicted to prescription pain medications.  He started taking them after back surgery several years ago and is unable or unwilling to stop.  He does not have any medical insurance and the family is unable to pay for treatment.  Is there a State operated facility available in the Cherokee County area that would offer a program that could help him?

Thank you for your assistance!

In Topics: Physical Health
> 60 days ago



Wayne Yankus
Apr 29, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Each state through its department of health and senior services would be able to tell you what is available in his Georgia county.  Usually the county hospital is the source for addiction services.  I would also ask for a consult with his prescribing doctor.  HIPPA laws prevent sharing information however in the case where the individual is at risk, you may be granted a meeting.

the key to success is his wanting help.

Good wishes.

Wayne Yankus, MD, FAAP
expert panelist: pediatrics

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely