rkaiulani
rkaiulani asks:
Q:

What do you think about the Presidential candidates' plans for education?

Barack Obama and John McCain have a lot of ideas for the how to improve the education system. Do you like what they're saying? Share your views in our online forum.
In Topics: State education standards

|
Ms.B.WY

Best Answer!

I am a substitute teacher. I see children spending more & more of their classroom time preparing for tests. The kids are learning to be good test takers. They are missing out on plenty of the basic knowledge that they should be learning, in favor of good test scores. The teachers are put under more & more stress to prepare for the tests that go on all throughout the school year. What happened to testing only at the beginning & end of the school year? Should our college students be handicapped because they got sick & scored poorly on one of these tests? I have seen very bright students have their self esteem brought down greatly due to scores that do NOT reflect their ability to learn. If they are or have been ill around the test time there should be some flexibility available for them to take the test when they are well. At this time there is nothing like that. My own son scored lower than he should have on his ACT because he "had to go to school sick because it was not given any other time". It is now going to effect his scholarships for college. What a waste of a bright child!! He gets A & B on his report cards all of the time. He even got an award for straight As one year. Now he is stuck with this low test score that will limit his college funding. All due to an illness he had no control over. Is that fair???

3
0

Posted in article comments by:  Young Working Single Mother

I don't see how Obama can remove vouchers while the school systems still "need work" as he puts it. Even if the schools were "fixed" what about choice of religion? If we want a religious education for our children, we feel the need to send them to a religious private school. If I'm paying tax dollars to the public schools that my children aren't attending, then why shouldn't I get a voucher for their private school busing expenses?

Not only that but where is the funding coming from for the universal preschool? It's a terrific theory but there's no explanation as to how it will take place. Having a universal preschool is like adding another school system to each district. More teachers, board members, aides and assistants, not to mention their salaries to boot. Then we're back to the same issue discused his his "No Child Left Behind" but now for the youngest and most impressionable students.

Sorry Obama, these are nice theories but you've got nothing notions to back them up with.

0
0
Posted in article comments by Cindy:  

I am a student in middle school and i totally agree with obama's views on education and standerized testing especially. many students are very bright; they just too nervous and expectations from parents and teachers sometimes put way too much pressure on them. we need a better testing system for students to show their creativity and intelligence.

0
0
Posted in Article comments by T:

How about our college students? Those who are trying to get an education by being honest on their federal aide applications.  I am so upset that we have been denied assistance.  My husband and I work hard to make a living for our (5) children.  We can't get any assistance based on our income, but there are people out there who lie to get assistance, such as reporting only one parent's income.  Is there a medium? What about the people who are honest? What about the families who are not rich and not poor, just caught in the middle?  What about us?  We need you, Obama to really make a difference in every aspect of our lives.  You can do it. God bless you.

1
0
Posted in article comments by Marie:

There is no way I will vote for McCain, 4 more years of the Bush policies is just too much to even contemplate.

And those who want their god in schools, send them to religious schools. There is no way I am going to pay for your kids to get indoctrinated in a faith that not only do I disagree with, but that teaches kids that my kids are bad for having two moms.

Teachers need more money, schools need more participating of parents, and adding the 10 commandments is not going to do a darn thing to help kids learn!

0
0
Posted in article comments by Dick Foster:

This 75 year old white male strongly supports Barak Obama for President and have from the start.  Others are simply part of the old bureacracy with connections, favors, lobby friends with special interest.  As a retired federal employee with many years in Wash. D.C., and a long time instructor of Governmental Law, We badly need change.  We need to reprogram the war funding, the past tax cuts for the wealthy, the subsidies to oil companies, and special Congressional budget add-ons for their district.  We must serve the national needs and interests in education, tax policy, balanced budget, environmental concerns, alternative enercy.  He is currently our only hope and chance.

1
0
andert917
andert917 writes:
A rather late response to this issue by me but nonetheless an important one...

As a higher-education instructor, I am ambivalent about college funding, especially from where it will come in light of both candidates' proposals. However, I fully embrace Obama's desire to cut NASA funding for projects, however many projects this constitutes or however much money can be culled from such questionable projects. Consider this a diatribe against NASA. I believe this agency bilks literally billions of dollars for projects whose merit is asinine in many projects that center on finding life on other planets or discovering the composition of other celestial bodies. NASA is a political organization that desires nothing but to stay ahead of other nations that (GASP!) might outpace America in this ever-going, ever-pointless "Space Race." I believe NASA's role should be reduced to energy-based exploration (i.e. solar) instead of launching crusades into deep parts of space that have no bearing immediately or anywhere in the "long-run" of humanity--at least not in any distant future that would benefit humanity before it self-destructs.

I agree with Obama's ideas on changing assessment and merit-pay, and I fully embrace his intentions on taking back monies from NASA to better improve America IN this world rather than OUTSIDE of it.

1
0
student ED 08
student ED 08 writes:
I believe for the fist time In modern American history that Oboma's  Objective plans to fix our

struggleing education system is awsome. Futhermore his Ideas our new and

inovative; Not only does he inclose on serveral issues and topics but, rather he divises stratigic

ways on how he is going to fix them. I say WAY TO GO OBOMA MAkE US STRONG

AND PROUD.(were all counting on you).

0
0