Artsquire
Artsquire asks:
Q:

I am a product of a cotholic parochial school in the 60's,
Bullied, beatnen through High school. How can I get involved speaking to these  victims?

I spent my youth evading, hiding, and resaoning my way out of abusive situations, sadly left little time for development of my schoolwork. I believe we are a product of the times in which we were raised, unforthunately, the early to mid 60's was not advantageous for a boy 8yrs and up thru HS. Corporal punishment was also a more palletteable disciplinarian tool. I remember hearing from other parents that "I'd kill him before I'd let him be a fagggot. What does a young mind do with that?

|

We are so sorry to hear about the pain you have experienced in your past.  The bullying of parents, teachers, and other classmates are all traumatic and can stick with us for years after the fact.  Some people shrug off bullying as a part of life or something that is not a big deal, but it can be extremely painful and leave physical or emotional scars.  

There are many ways to get involved in the fight against bullies.  Do you happen to know of any local organizations that work on promoting safety and keeping people safe.  In our area there are a couple of nonprofits that do work to raise awareness and teach about invention and prevention strategies.  Check out the website below for one of the local organizations (this one is in Omaha, NE).

www.respect2all.org

There are also other more national organizations like the purple hands project, the it gets better campaign, and bully busters.  You could even just try to get connected to an individual school and speak to the staff there about any organizations they may have heard of.

The battle against bullying is a battle worth fighting.  There are no easy answers and there are not fail safe ways to prevent bullying, but the more tools and skills we can give our youth to be strong, resilient and stand up for not only themselves, but other as well, the better they will be able to cope with the bullies they experience, not only as children, but as adults as well.  

We wish you luck in connecting with a local organization to raise awareness about this important topic.

Counselor, Dominic
1-800-448-3000
www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

0
0