regardingbaby
regardingbaby , Caregiver, Teacher asks:
Q:

Why promote iPad Apps. for preschoolers when all of the research says this is NOT the way young children learn best?

In Topics: Technology and my child

|

JeanneBrockmyer

You are absolutely correct!  Screen time should be very limited for young children. Screen time includes television, movies, computers--basically all the electronic gizmos the tech industry promotes.  Of course some screen time is more useful for child development than others, which may explain the article you read.  
Children need unstructured play time to learn to use their innate curiosity to help them find ways to learn about the world and to learn social skills.  

Jeanne Brockmyer, Ph. D.  clinical child psychologist and Expert Panelist.

0
0

greenprof2
greenprof2 writes:
I'm with you on this. I don't believe there is much if any value to exposing very young children to technologically-mediated educational programs. Young children need real-world physical experience, not simulacra from machines. I say this while looking forward to getting an iPad for myself, but then, I'm 64!

Michael Bentley, EdD, Expert Panelist

PS see Education.com special edition on Nature Deficit Disorder

1
0