rstolberg
rstolberg asks:
Q:

What are pros/cons of combining an elementary school and a middle school into a single campus?

As a parent of an elementary school child, I would prefer that the two schools are not combined into one campus due to the age difference of the children. I am curious if there are any studies or additional information that outline the pros and cons of this type of set-up.

|

DrBMelton

You are concerned about your child going to a school that combines elementary and middle school (grades K-8).

My experience as an educator in different levels of school is that older children interact well with younger students. Most campuses separate the students in different areas of the building and for different activities (e.g., lunch). There are wonderful examples about older children tutoring, practicing conflict resolution, and presenting to younger children). The economics of operating a school are many times the reason cited for combining schools.

Be involved as a parent in the planning process. Be specific about your concerns.

0
0