yolivzla81
yolivzla81 asks:
Q:

is that possible that the public school system deny the enrolment to my son?

the thing is, i'm from foreign country, I have a 17 years old boy who's has been raising my parents,I after 12 years living in this country I decide to bring him over, so he can finish hi high school in order to obtain a diploma and eventually continue for college, I think this country have all the possibilities , but the school system in the city were I live here, it make me so hard to enroll him, so they decide to make a test of him, he failed that test and they give the opcion to finish with the GED, I don't really think is the best solution, I think we been be discriminated, he is under age and he have the right to education, so is any advice, o should I hire a lawyer ??

|

gmsthm
gmsthm writes:
There are definitely people who can help you with that, should your child be at a level academically comparable to the other children his age. If you are wanting him to finish high school with other children his age, but he is not at the level academically where he can participate in the same classes and still do well, then having him in that classroom would not be the best option anyway, for you or your son. In order for him to get a high school diploma, he has to be at that level. His age has nothing to do with it. He could be 18, and yet still only have an equivalency of perhaps a seventh grade education. It would not be possible, or productive for your son, to advance him to such a level before he is ready. So, to really answer your question I would need a lot more information. My advice for now, find out what level he is at in reading, math, etc...and then find him private education resources or home school until he is ready to graduate and move on into the world.

1
0