amlambert
amlambert asks:
Q:

I have questions regarding Learning Support classes for my daughter who has an IEP.

My daughters IEP was scheduled for today.  When we arrived at the meeting we were met with the fact that she is testing on a 3rd grade level in reading and math.  Until today I didn't know this fact.  [She] is in 2 Learning Support classes at the moment for math and reading. While being mainstreamed for Social Studies, Science and English.  She has a personal care aid for her disability issues which involve the restroom.  However, I have learned that she leans on the aid for many things.  To the point where shes not really functioning without the support of her aid.  It was suggested that for next year we add additional LS classes.
My question is this: Will the curriculum be the same? Or will it be behind the grade level? That's a concern for me. I know they expressed that the seventh grade will be harder. My daughter has VACTERL association which includes a number of birth defects.So she missed some school for surgery.
We are trying to limit her interaction with her aid and having the teachers push her... But, I'm not sure if the stress will get to her.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Helping my child with school work and home work, My Relationship with my child's school

|

Allyn Anderson

It sounds as if your daughter has complex educational issues. If I understand your child's situation correctly, she is chronologcially at the seventh grade level, but she is working academically at the third grade level. Although teachers are accustomed to working with students roughly two years above and below grade level, a four year gap is significant and requires additional support. I suspect their are academic gaps in your child's learning, which will require individualized support at her functioning level.

Since the school district has provided an assistant for your daughter, call and schedule an appointment with the special education administrator and classroom teacher, if possible, at the school your child will be attending. Discuss your concern that your child needs to be as self-sufficient as possible. Ask them to help "push" her whenever possible. As an educator, I find that these kinds of situations can best be addressed by working together as a team.

1
0
Anonymous