OliviaZammit
OliviaZammit asks:
Q:

While I read all the time to my daughter, she gets distracted all the time. What shall I do?

In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|
katiekenig

Best Answer!

How old is your child?  Different ages can make a big difference here!

I worked in a library summer reading program, taught several different age groups, and have two easily distracted little boys :)  Here are some tips I've picked up along the way:

Preschool ages:  Be enthusiastic!  Reading with a flat affect is sure to lead to a distracted kid.  Get into the story, use different voices and create your own sound effects.  Insert your own emotions during interesting moments.  (Wow, how cool was that??  Or Oh No!  What do you think will happen??  Etc)

Early School age:  Make sure the book is interesting enough for them!  They can comprehend books way over their own reading level at this point, especially with you there to answer questions or explain things to them.  Try an older book in their area of interest - sports, or crafts or whatnot.  

Any age:  Don't read for too long.  Fifteen minutes is a good limit for preschool and early school age, twenty five for a bit older.  Listening is a hard skill to master; if that's even too much at the start, add a minute or two a day as it gets easier.  When she starts to drift, redirect her with a question about the story, or ask her to tell you what is happening in a picture on the page.

1
0

sunita22
sunita22 writes:
sit with her and try to find out her interest and let her do the same. In todays era only studying is not the only option for career.

May be she wants to become something and for the same make her understand you need to have some studies and see the miracles

0
0
OliviaZammit
OliviaZammit writes:
My daughter is 4 years old so she is in nursery and when I'm reading for her she enjoys it for a little bit but when she notice that there are pictures she wants to turn the pages to see other pictures and that it, bye bye...:) with the story.!

0
0