abfabmom
abfabmom asks:
Q:

What recommendations do folks out there have for adults with emotional overexcitability?

I just read the article by Sue Douglass Fliess on Raising a Sensitive Child.  This (and other articles) indicates that a child will grow out of this emotional overexcitability.

What if the child doesn't grow out of it?  What if she finds herself with these same issues as an adult?  What recommendations do folks out there have for adults with emotional overexcitability?
In Topics: Special needs

|
Nathan
Nathan writes:
Well, I will just stick my head out there and admit that I've done counseling before. There are often very low cost counselors available who are quite good. My counselor helped me to become more aware of some of the thoughts and ideas in my head that were causing so much excitability. With increased awareness, I have been able to recognize these patterns and challenge some of my old ideas to develop newer and more accurate ways of seeing the world. This has helped a lot!

0
0
Nathan
Nathan writes:
Nope. Actually, I WENT to talk to a counselor before. He was great. I think that counseling is a reasonable option for lots of people. I'm just suggesting that an adult with high sensitivity may benefit from talking with a someone to better understand what sorts of things upset them, why they were upset, and how they can deal with that kind of upset in the future. Worked for me!

0
0