joyfull
joyfull asks:
Q:

Need to know the requirements for entrance into kindergarten in Indiana?

My Daughter just turned 3 in December and a friend of mine suggested that she needs to go to preschool! She said that her son is going into Kindergarten and the requirements are very high! I do work with her on her ABC's and she knows 1-10. Can dress, wash hands, go to the bathroom. But this friend said that they need to know 1-100 and some writing, reading, adding, subtracting and many other requirements. Can anyone tell me what really is required for entrance into Kindergarten? I wish to keep her at home with me till she is 5 or 6. All so is Kindergarten required in Indiana? Please help I am stressing over this!
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Joyfull....

Thank you for your question.

For starter, kindergarten is not mandatory in the state of Indiana.  Children who turn 5 on or before July 1 can choose to go to kindergarten.  (see link below)

For a 3 year old who knows her ABCs and number 1-10, I say that your daughter is more than ready for kindergarten if you choose to send her in 2 years.

The knowledge that your friend described about knowing number 1-100, reading, writing, etc. are something that kindergarteners need to know - but it's not the beginning of the year but by the END of the year that they should know these skills.

Below I've included 3 articles on kindergarten readiness skills.  If you feel your daughter is weak in certain skills, you can strengthen those skills now.  I am sure your daughter doesn't need them.  It sounds like she's doing fine.

Vicki

1
0
RachelPorter
RachelPorter writes:
Kindergarten is not required in the state of Indiana.  In fact they are not required to go to school until they are 7.

1
0
clwollrab
clwollrab writes:
In answer to your question  I am not only a parent of a child in kindergarten but I am also a preschool teacher and the most important thing for your child to know is their name and most importany those self help skills and social skills that you seem to already been implementing. The academic things will be taught when they enter school. The second part of your question is No Indiana does not require a child to attend kindergarten however if. They are enrolled they must attend. I hope this how ease your mind a bit. If you have any more questions or concerns please feel free to ask.

0
0
MichelleKnight
MichelleKni... writes:
I am also a PK teacher in Indiana and I feel it greatly varies school to school. Some do want your child to go in knowing 1-25, and basic reading...some are not so picky. The best thing to do is contact the school she will be attending and ask what they prefer. Remember though you can teacher her ABC and 123 at home but they get so much more than that in PK. They learn a lot on socialization and team work. Actually today at a meeting we were discussing on how PK is now what I learned leaving 1st grade. Schools demand so much from students anymore it's not like when we were in school. Good luck!

0
0
sabrinanewman
sabrinanewman , Parent writes:
As a parent of a five year old and 2 year old, I can understand you wanting to keep her at home until she is 5 or 6.  However, there can be some set backs to this.  It's mainly to deal with the development of social skills.  Until my five year old went into preschool at 3, I was very reluctant to have him go to school.  I see now, though, how important that was for him developmentally wise.  True he has picked up on some bad behaviors from his classmates, but there is a lot that he has learned now he would not have learned just staying with us at home.

0
0
boyetts
boyetts writes:
There are no requirements to enter kindergarten other than age. Your child needs to be 5 on or before August 1. That being said, the expectations in kindergarten are MUCH higher than they were years ago (even 5 years ago) By the end of the year students need to count to 100, be able to add subtract fluently with sums to 5 and read beginning reader books and be able to write at least a couple of sentences about one topic. If children come to school knowing most of their letters, have plenty of experiences with books (being read to at home), able to recognize numbers 1-10 they will be set for kindergarten. Kindergarten is not required in Indiana. A child could technically wait until first grade to start school. Knowing what all a child learns in kindergarten, I would NOT recommend this.

0
0
Madylon
Madylon writes:
The best answer to your question is how well prepared do you want your child .  I teach preschool in Indiana.  Dress, wash hands and go to bathroom is normal for any 3 to 4 yr old.  When my students leave for kindergarten, they know days of week, months of year, name address, alphabet names and sounds, sight words, some phonics,
are reading , recognize numbers, count to 50 and some to 100. They know to share, say Please & thank you.   Children of this age soak
up this learning like a sponge.  They learn thru fun activities and songs.  I interact one on one with these children.  A Kindergarten teacher may have 25 students, with less time for each one.
 What if your child attends a school with these children?  She will feel she is behind.  It is not what you want, but what may be best for her!!  You can teach her all these things thru computer programs in your home.  For socializing, if not preschool, than Sunday school and play dates will help.  you tube has many pre-school songs that help.

0
0
sapphire_mama
sapphire_mama writes:
I have a 4 yr old. I live in Indianapolis.
I have registered 3 children and if you enroll your child they have to turn 5 BEFORE SEPTEMBER.. You do not have to do K or prek if u do not feel it is right for you, do not ever let someone tell u what to do, or stress. Sounds like u have a smart little one on your hands. My oldest is 10.

0
0