Need residential facility for my 16 year old daughter with bipolar disorder.

"I have a 16 year old child (female) whom is bipolar and has been abusing me for years now. I have gone through DECA (CPS here in Kansas) and to no avail. My child has gotten worse. I need help and want to send her to a facility. I do need her to be a better person. Please help. I am willing to send her there permanently."

Asked by Marsha via email.
In Topics: Teen issues, Depression, Discipline and behavior challenges
> 60 days ago



Jul 5, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

This is certainly a difficult issue.

If you are sure you have exhausted all the resources of CPS, you might want
to work through your daughter's doctor.  Make an appointment and discuss this problem with him/her. Your doctor may know of other resources in the community.
However, if CPS did not deem your child eligible for services, private services may be expensive.

However, do be sure you have checked every channel at CPS.  Go up the ladder to supervisory staff if you have not done so already.  Even if there is more to try at CPS, I suggest an appointment with the doctor could be helpful. Your doctor may prescribe medication or recommend a child psychiatrist who could prescribe medication for your daughter's bipolar illness.
There are good medications that are effective, and may go a long way to solving this problem.

Besides medication, if you cannot get your child into a facility, you may want to ask your doctor for a referral to a behavioral therapist. Your daughter's abusive behavior might be addressed with some quality behavior therapy.

I wish you good luck with a tough situation.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Clinical Social Worker
JustAsk Expert
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Dadof2Teens writes:
First, I am so sorry to hear what you've been going through.  A very close friend of mine has a bipolar child as well.  I think the expert is right on.  I would only add that she needs to get evaluated for medication.  They do work.  And there are several types so if one doesn't work, try another.  Keep loving her and forgive her she is not well.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely