KAuman
KAuman asks:
Q:

What resources are available to my 17 year old teen mom niece?

My 17 year old neice is wanting to come live with me. She is a teen mom whom has no idea of how to be a mom. To make matters worse, she is a survivor of childhood molestation and is in need of couseling, an education and life skills training. I can do some of these things but I have no idea where to start or whom to talk to.
Can someone please point me in the right direction. Is there a program that will help me help my neice?
In Topics: Teen issues

|

You are very kind and generous for considering taking your niece in.  It sounds like she has a lot to learn, and you both have some struggles ahead of you.  The good news is that there are many resources out there for you depending upon what city you live in.  At Boys Town we have a national database of referrals for a variety of services and needs throughout the US and Canada. If you call our hotline at 1-800-448-3000, and someone will give you names and numbers for specific places that can serve you and your niece.  Our hotline is answered by trained crisis counselors and is available 24/7.  Feel free to call us anytime for referrals, but also if you just need some advice or support.  We're here for you and would love to speak with you soon!!

1-800-448-3000

0
0

Kelly562
Kelly562 writes:
Hello Kauman,
I  was  browsing  through  this  sight  and  I  saw  your  comment  here  asking  for  some  help  to  point  you  in  the  right  direction to  get  some  help  for  you  and  your  neice.  My  suggestion  is  to  call  your  local  HHS office  in  your  town to  see if  they  have a  program  called  Transitional Living( TLP) or MGHTLP for pregnant or  parenting  youths.   If  not  then  try  looking   one  up  that  may  be  close  to  where  you  live on  the  internet.  This  program  will  help  a youth 16 to 21 years  of  age who  is  homeless with  or  without  children.  They  will  be  able  to help  her  attain a GED, Learn  Life  Skills such as  Budgeting, Social Skills,  Parenting skills,  Cooking  skills, Job skills,and  many  other  skills  to  help  her  to  learn  how  to  become  an independant person.  I  hope  this  information  has  helped.  Good  luck  and  have a  wonderful  day!

0
0