Anonymous
Q:

Should I retain my son in Kindergarten because his fear is holding him back from showing his knowledge?

Help!!!!  My 6.5 year old boy is not demonstrating all he knows in class.  So much so, his teacher is suggesting retention.  Upon meeting with us she was shocked to see his work from home (site word recognition, addition and subtraction skills, beginning development of sentences, letter/sound recognition, etc.)  I believe fear and anxiety is hindering his ability to show his knowledge.  I believe retention will only diminish the little confidence he has.  I am afraid another year with the same teacher, who was unable to connect with him this year, will be a waste of time. Studies show retention is not the answer.  My son is social, an incredible athlete and behaves well in class.  What do I do?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Anxiety

|
Anonymous