GriseldaC2106
GriseldaC2106 asks:
Q:

Should I retain my young 6 year old in 1st grade?

I came across your website while doing some research of my own on retention for my daughter and would appreciate some expert advice.

Long story short, she is 6 and would be going on to 2nd grade next school year.  However, she is basically a grade level ahead of where she should be for her chronological age because she started K at a private school that did not have the same age cut off rules as our public school system.  She switched to public school after K and I chose to place her in 1st. Since the beginning, she struggled somewhat with reading and a lot with math.  In reading she has now caught up and is on grade level and made a lot of progress throughout the year. But in math she is not on grade level and scored a 65% (percent) on her end of year math test!  Her attitude with math was very negative all year, says she is not good at math and had several melt downs during math HW!  So it makes me wonder if I have pushed my daughter on to education too fast, too soon!

Given all this, would you recommend retaining her in 1st?    I do worry very much about the stigma of retention and how she would feel about it.  The school is allowing me to retain her if I choose and have basically left it up to me.  Would she repeat, she would have the same teacher, which is a very big plus for her!  I have asked her what she would want to do and she said 1st again! What's your best advice on this situation?

Thanks!
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

LukeMama
LukeMama writes:
I'm not a teacher, just a parent with an opinion.  It sounds like your daughter is doing well in all areas except math.  Instead of retaining her can you put her in a summer program (i.e. Kumon) that will allow her 1 on 1 time with a teacher/tutor who can work with her from the very basics of math up to where she should be to be ready for 2nd grade?  Kids tend to really dislike something if they don't understand it.  She may have missed a key lesson on math somewhere along the way that has caused her to be uncomfortable with it.  Can you get flash cards or create basic fun math games to work with her regularly to get her up to being ready for 2nd grade?  She may think going back into 1st grade is a good idea...but what about when her friends are moving on to 2nd and she is staying in 1st, will she still think it's a good idea to then?  I think if you retain her in 1st she might grasp math concepts better and be more comfortable with math - knowing she gets a "re-do".  Good luck!

0
0