Rayelyn
Rayelyn asks:
Q:

My retained 7th Grader

Iam very upset with my child's school. I was told by school staff thatbif my child was to be retained.I would be notified via mail or a phone call before hand.I was not notified and assumed my child had improved and would be promoted but when I received the report card it said retained. What as a parent can I do at this point?
In Topics: National education standards and No Child Left Behind

|

This is a difficult situation and after reading your description of the problem, I can see why you are frustrated.

Here are some things to consider:

Find out what the retention guidelines and timeline are for your son's schools.  For example in the district I work in, parents need to be aware in writing some time during the third marking period that their child may be retained.  Retention cannot happen if the parents were not notified properly.  Find out what their criteria is for retention.  If your child meets the criteria, then he should be promoted.  There may be an alternative criteria as well.  That means that if your son didnt pass a particular assessment or meet the promotion criteria, there may be an alternative assessment he/she that the can take or possibly a summer school program he/she can attend where he can be reassessed at the end of the program.  If he/she passes that alternative criteria, then he/she should be promoted.

Gather evidence.  Any test papers, classroom, teacher notes and comments, anything that will help your case to get him promoted.  Dig up the parent/teacher conference forms, other teacher notes about your child, interim reports, etc.

Even though research indicates that retention is not good for the child, I have seen where retention has benefited the student.  Usually it is best if in the younger grades such as K and 1st.  I know I would have benefited from any extra year of first grade - I have a learning disabilities that wasn't diagnosed until middle school.  

The bottom line, you need to do what is best for your child.  If you believe he/she should be promoted, then you need to fight for it.  State the facts and try not be be emotional.  You want the school administration to take you seriously, not see you as a hysterical parent.

Hopefully, I have given you somethings to concider or to think about.

Barb Kruger
Www.Lesson.pop.com

0
0