elysium18
elysium18 asks:
Q:

Does a runny nose and congestion accompany teething?

My 18 month old recieved her 1st dose of the flu as well as the H1N1 vaccination over a week ago. She is now cutting a molar.  Within 48 hours she has developed a runny nose, chest congestion, slight cough, and is highly aggitated, crying and kicking her feet. I have been treating her for the teething, though should I be worried that this is something more serious?
In Topics: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu), Children and stress, Dental health

|

I would suggest you call your pediatrician and discuss your concerns.  These signs and symptoms are not related to vaccines or to teething. While teething does cause some increase in saliva and at 18 months some biting behavior, cold symptoms should be viewed differently.

expert panelist: pediatricsWayne Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0

humb
humb writes:
Yes teething can cause all the above and in some even upset stumach

1
1
elysium18
elysium18 writes:
I actually took her to the doctor because she was showing more signs than just teething... she has an upper respiratory infection AND an ear infection that we caught BEFORE it became serious. So THANK YOU for the answers, sometimes it is better to worry than not!

1
0
gloweth
gloweth writes:
My son had been teething at and then got a fever. They do get fevers when the pain gets pretty bad with teething. Give him Tylenol and it should help. Use a cool air mist in room at night and when he takes nap. Having probiotics is a good idea which helps with building immunity too.

0
0
With both of my children they did have a runny nose, slight congestion and it wans't unusual for them to develop diarrhea while teething.  BUT, I would not take any chances, please whenever your child is "sick" or not "normal" ask a professional, see her pediatrician for an exam.  Although it is a good question, online, no one including a doctor could determine the health of your child.
Best wishes!

1
0
Anonymous