C.D.
C.D. asks:
Q:

How do I save myself from this?

I get bullied constantly. I'm not gay, but I get called Homo because I don't have a girlfriend. I'm allergic to dairy, but I'm called Mr.Cheeseburger because I'm chubby. I've never fainted, but I'm called The Fabulous Fainter because I have Athsma. Plus, this one kid threatens to kill me if I don't do his homework.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Anxiety, Depression

|

childpsychmom

Bullying is a very common problem, and I am so sorry that you are being hurt in this way by your peers.  Bullies can make you feel helpless and alone, but you are NOT alone.  It's hard to stop bullying on your own, you need the support of an adult who knows what to do.  Whatever you do, don't try to solve this problem on your own.

There are people all around you who can and WILL help you, so tell an adult that you trust about the name calling, threats, and bullying.  Your parents, a teacher, your principal, or a school counselor are there to help you. Tell them about everything that you have written here so that they can best keep you safe from threats and stop this bullying immediately.    

I'm attaching several websites all about what to do when you are being victimized and threatened by a bully.  I hope you look at them to get support for what to do to deal with this, encouragement to talk to a trusted adult in your life, and realization that you are not alone!  

If you feel like you need to talk to someone on the phone about what is going on, you can call Childhelp at 1-800-422-4453.  They have counselors available to talk to you 24 hours a day 7 days a week to help you figure out how to stop an abusive situation.

You have done the right thing by reaching out online for help.  Keep that going and tell a trusted adult in your life so that they can help you stay safe and end this terrible situation.

Polly Dunn, Ph.D.
Child Psychologist

www.ChildPsychMom.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/childpsychmom
Facebook: www.facebook.com/childpsych

Bullying can increase your risk for suicide.  For help you can call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255) or contact a psychologist in your community.
1
0

MichD
MichD writes:
I think you need to talk to your parents about this and they need to take this to the principal.  If the principal won't do anything, take it to the board of education. ( not sure if there is one in U.S. I live in Canada)

This needs to be stopped right away.  If possible, home schooling may be an option.

1
0
Hi C.D.,

Nobody deserves to be bullied this way. I don't think that any teasing is okay, and death threats go way beyond the realm of what is acceptable between peers.

I'm glad that you're reaching out for help, but an online forum isn't enough. It is important that you talk to a trusted adult immediately: a parent, older sibling, teacher, guidance counselor, or school principal. Please tell them what is going on.

Best of luck,
Alex

3
0
sophmore2014
sophmore2014 , Student writes:
You can't stop them from bullying you, you can try to tell a principal, but they will keep doing it.
My word of advice is to change yourself: Increase your self esteem, because once it's high, the things they say won't matter anymore. Do things that make you happy, volenteer, do good in the world. Be happy because you only live once.
As for the kid who is threatening you, go to the police. That threat is a feliny, and he could go to jail for that. Friend or not, that's wrong.

0
0
Bullying is problem in many communities.  School should be a place where you feel safe and secure.  We are sorry that you have to put up with this type of behavior. TUnkind words cause pain that obviously have a big impact on people.  We are glad that you decided to take the time to reach out and talk about how it impacts you.

One of our counselors put together a list of important things you should know when it comes to bullying. Check these points out.

Top Six Things to Know About Bullying:

1) Never let yourself get singled out.  Bullies love isolating people, so be a team!

2) Showing a bully your emotions is rewarding for them, so stay strong until you are in a safe place.

3) Think about what the bully gains when they hurt you.  If you know what they're gaining it will be easier to remove that reward.

4) Bring an adult into the situation.  The more people that are aware that you are in a dangerous situation, the more support you will have in the long run (and your peers are not the best support sometimes).

5) Bullies hurt themselves with their behavior.  In the long run it is the bully that is truly hurt because they never learn how to work with, appreciate, and have relationships with people.  The sad fact is that "the bully" ends up pushing everyone they know away because all they know how to do is bully people.  

6) A bully is a bully for a reason.  A lot of times it is a sad reason involving a difficult home life or poor role models.  They become bullies because they have learned to deal with reality this way.  They often bring a diseased home life to relationships outside of the home.

Understand the bully and what they are trying to accomplish and through compassion, team work, and courage you will be able to stand up for yourself and also for healthy relationships in general.

If you ever feel like you are in danger, please don't hesitate to talk with an adult. Keep reaching out and talking about how you are feeling.  It is healthy and it keeps you feeling more in control .  

We are here 24/7 for you.  Call or email us anytime.  We have online chat available for teens Mon-Thurs evenings from 8-11pm CST.  Give it a try.

We have offered you some websites for you to check out for more information on this subject.  We hope it helps.

1-800-448-3000

1
0
Anonymous