KilaBethany29
KilaBethany29 asks:
Q:

How can I get school children to stop making fun of my overweight brother?

I am from a small town in Kentucky, and I have a 11 year old brother who is overweight.  He has continously getting picked on about his size, and my mother and father takes the problem to the Principal but he ignores and acts as if my mother doesn't know what she is talking about.  Also, they have been to the County Board and in all honesty they don't do no more than the next person.  Who can my parents talk to that will actually get to the bottom of this if our school authority want who will?  I dont want my brother to be  one of these kids that turns into someone on a rampage and hurt others for his torture, but harm himself  cause these selfish pople don't care enough about the kids in the school.
In Topics: Working with school administrators

|
Hello!  I'm so sorry to hear that your brother is being picked on.  He's really lucky that you and your mom and dad are working so hard to help him.   Too many kids go through being bullied alone and you're right, they often end up really angry.

We have lots of articles on bullying for you and your parents to read:  http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_MiddleYears_Bullying/

These might give your family ideas of how your brother can handle the teasing, different ways to approach the school, etc.

It's really dissapointing that the school isn't being more helpful.  Maybe your parents could print out some of these articles and ask for another meeting with the principal.  At the very least the principal should be willing to help create a plan for your brother (who he should go to if he feels like he's being threatened).  

It doesn't matter what shape or size your brother is - he deserves to be safe at school!

Good luck and please let us know how your family is doing,

Education.com Community Team

0
0
concernedteach
concernedte... writes:
Something I would do, is talk to your brother and see if there is one teacher who he thinks he can talk to. This has to be a teacher that won't share what he tells them. Many teachers really do care about the kids. There has to be at least one adult on the campus that cares about your brother. Whether its one of his teacher, the nurse, the secretary, the gym teacher, whoever, he needs to talk to that adult, and so do your parents. If you can get one person in the school on your side, then you can get the attention of those higher up. The mentality of most school officials lately has been that bullying is a part of life, its a growing proccess, but this is not true. Bullying is a growing problem, especially in middle school, and the more we bring attention to it, the more likely we will get it stopped. I hope this helps, and good luck.
~Elle

0
0