OnlyTheBest
OnlyTheBest asks:
Q:

Can a school forward copies of my child's medical records and hospital discharge forms to their NEW school without my permission?

I received an odd call from the school saying they were forwarding my child's 8th grade records to my child's new school and was also including their hospital discharge paperwork from earlier in the year.

This past year the school had a STRING of self-harm attempts. Without my knowledge, they had my child on a 'safe call' list for other students who were attempting to harm themselves. Not long afterwards, my child also tried to hurt themselves and as a result, participated in an Intensive Outpatient Program(IOP).

As part of the new school's application process, they specifically ask about social challenges and even have mandatory youth social psychological presentations for all incoming students since this is a known issue.

There's a LOT that has occurred this year that has caused me to seriously question the school's judgement, however can the old school just send those records without my permission?
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Physical Health

|

Sending confidential records without the consent of the parent/guardian is a violation of FERPA, a federal law that ensures privacy of personal records. Medical records are not school records, and should not be open to review for non-educational purposes. If the school requests a copy from the previous school or the physician's office, you would need to sign a release of confidential information for the doctor's office (HIPPA).

The school may send or request educational records with parent permission. If the school (rather than the parent) checks the box on the release form that includes medical records, the school records clerk has not violated the privacy act. You need to write on the permission form that you do not want medical records sent.

You also have a right to request that the records be removed from the school cumulative folder.

Mandatory "youth social psychological presentation" sounds serious; however, you may request the information presented at this mandatory meeting. I suspect this presentation helps the new students transition to the new school, rather than a psychological evaluation, which would require parent consent.

0
0

Whoviangirl134
Whoviangirl... writes:
I'm sorry about that. If they do, they do. No changes after that.

0
0
zieshashey
zieshashey writes:
I think this is very serious and yes they can't transfer any kind of documents without your permission !

0
0
Anonymous