Q:

School counselors: which assessments do you recommend for assessing student learning styles?

"I am a new school counselor and really want to work more with assessing students on their learning styles and then helping them with strategies--as well as the teachers. Do you recommend any assessments you use as a school counselor (vs a school psychologist--which we don't have)? Thanks!"

Asked by Ashley in commenting on the article, "Helping Auditory Learners Succeed": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/audit...
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning styles and differences

|

I found numerous assessments on learning style through Google. However, the link below has been helpful in working with my students on learning styles.

If you would like resources for school counselors, I highly recommend two websites: American School Counselor Association and School counselor.com. Both websites have lesson plans you will find helpful. Le me know if you have nay other needs as a school counselor.
2
0

sbnpuchalska
sbnpuchalska writes:
what are you more familier with? cause i am dealing with both at my daughters school and it seems to me that she is in the wrong field wich can effact a child . if your going to do psychologist make sure you look at all options not just an excusse to make your self look good or sound smart ( do your research on each behavier the child is having before assuming somethign wrong) . and as a counsler goes . really not that importent. to me it sounds like your already board with the pastion you already have. so you made you mind up already.. be true to your passion and make a diffarance to the wants that are in need and of causres make sure you know your new job before you take it... thats there life in ur heads, and the trust of parents..

0
2
KateRians
KateRians writes:
I am a licensed school psychologist.  I'm sure you already know that assessing a student through standardized measures needs to be completed by an individual who specializes in formal assessment and interpretation of scores (thus a school psychologist).  A good way to assess a student without using a standardized measure would be by examining existing student data.  State mandated assessment data, benchmark data, classroom observations, teacher observations, and overall academic standing would be the best ways to begin to target which students may need assistance.  Further, if your school has an RTI program in place, the interventions and progress monitoring data collected on each student should assist you in understanding where the academic difficulties may be.  It is important to understand what grade level the student is currently performing at (and not focus so much on the most beneficial learning style...yet). Does your school have a Student Support Team process or does your school hold data team meetings?  A school counselor is usually a great asset to those teams.  Hope this helps!  Every school SYSTEM should have a school psychologist for formal assessment procedures.

1
0