Kristine1234
Kristine1234 asks:
Q:

Can a school really hold a child back in kindergarten for not knowing his sight words?

My nephews school told his parents that they were going to do an IEP last year when he was is kindergarten. They never did. Now he goes to school today and is supposed to be in 1st grade and they say he is being held back because he does not know his sight words. I do not think this is right they should have first known about this last year and also I think that the parents should have a say. But they are saying its not up to them. What can they do my nephew is upset because he did not like the teacher to last year now he is with her again this year and none of his friends are there and he is in the same class with his younger twin sisters.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/child...
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|