1pamom
1pamom asks:
Q:

Where do you go when the whole school is lacking?

I have sat back and watched my daughter's 1st 3 yrs of elementary go by & it is not the positive experience I recall when I went to that same school as a child. Today, I went to another unbearable lunch with my daughter, as the "wards" I call them holler for the kids to "shut up". This is time we will not get back. I would like to eat w/ my child and get to know her classmates of which she speaks of. The lunchs are far from the wholesome homemade food that was prepared like back in the day. To now settle for some prepackage frozen course w/ a side fries. Oh, did i mention ice cream is served with lunch instead of after. The safe playground built by the community has been torned down & replaced by 10 swings raised 3ft off the ground & a basketball court (only if they get to play outside of the 2 days a week they have gym). Finally, my last parent/teacher conference, I was told my daughter is reading at a 3rd grade level (she's in 2nd grade), but cannot be tested for high learning to keep the class at an average level. I was told in confidence by the teacher there was nothing she could do. It was up to the school district. Im worried. My job, family, & my daughter's school is located in this area. Other parents have opted for education elsewhere as years go on. I do not want to have to leave my hometown for the school's poor academics but don't have money or time to do otherwise. What would you suggest? Also, I did join the PTA, and have voiced my concerns to no avail.
In Topics: Working with school administrators

|

You are voicing concerns about the quality of education, the lunches, safety, and the school climate. The PTA is an excellent avenue for advocating for your child and others. With other parents, changes are possible. Involve the school eadership and see what obstacels are preventing the school from being at its best. Funding cuts seem to be the root of the problem in many areas.

Consider a presentation to the school board and ask for positive changes.
Contact local community organizations that can help the school, such as Kiwanis and Lions Club.

1
0