Illbethe1
Illbethe1 asks:
Q:

what can I do when a school principal has discriminated against me and harrased me because of my "assumed" sexual orientation?

In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, Bullying and teasing

|

This must be so stressful for you! I'm very sorry to hear that you have been struggling with this.

How long has this been going on? Have you told anyone about the discrimination? I ask whether you have spoken with anyone about this because I believe that you will need some additional support and advice to manage this. If you have not, your mom and/or dad could schedule an appointment with the principal to discuss your concerns. Depending upon your comfort level you could attend or not attend.

Alternatively, you could speak with the school counselor to discuss your concerns. If your principal does not respond or change his/her behavior, the next step would be to speak with the district superintendent. You or your parents can access their contact information by visiting your district website.

The bottom line is that it is inappropriate and damaging for your principal to behave in this way and discriminate against you. It is unacceptable behavior that must be stopped. I would encourage you to engage your support network to get help on this one. Given that your principal is in a position of "power", you will most likely need some adults to help you navigate this situation.

Good luck and please consider talking with the school counselor (or an outside counselor if you have access to one). Discrimination causes deep and painful wounds, and I think that you may need someone to help you cope with this difficult situation.

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Expert Panel

2
0