DisgruntledStudent
Disgruntled... asks:
Q:

My school has severe problems that the admin. refuses to address. What can I, as a student, do?

I live in a small, midwestern town, and my school has severe problems that are never addressed. First of all, there is acute bullying that is constantly chalked up to "kids being kids"- it is the worst in the middle school, but is at the high school too. Also, the school is cutting ALL of the fine arts, which get no money to begin with. The extremely expensive athletics are untouched. Also, they refuse to fire an ineffective and sexually-harrassing choir teacher because it is too hard to find music teachers. The drama teacher does not do what she's paid to do- her students watch movies all day and get credit for it. There are also MANY other boring, ineffective classes. I've gone to the administration countless times, but they will not change anything. It is extremely, extremely frusturating. This is unacceptable- do we want our kids being taught in unsafe, frustrating, unstimularting environments? It is dispicable. What can I do?
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with school administrators, Bullying and teasing

|

I hear your frustration.  You go to school with high hopes of getting a god education and unfortunately disappointed.  Well, first of all I believe you can make a difference, it just may take some time.  

Keep in mind that there are somethings that you nor the administrators have control over such a budget cuts in the fine arts.  Those programs are being cut across the county.

Something you need to seriously think about before you do anything are the consequences of your actions, both positive and negative. I suggest talking to your parents and other trusted adult (someone older than 30) to get their insight.  You néed to be prepared for whatever might happen.

Bullying on the other hand is unacceptable.  You need to document events.  Be as detailed as you can: who was involved, exactly what happened, who you reported the incident to, and the put come.  Stick to the facts, and keep your feeling and opinions out of it.  It is important that you report the events to whomever is in charge of the anti bulling program at your school.  If things don't improve, ask your parents to support you.  Sometimes school officials will listen to parents before students.  You can also ask your parents to help you get heard at a school board meeting.  See if you can get other students to stand by you.  The more students who stand up against bullying, the number of incidences will decrease.  The bystanders can make a difference.

As for the poor teachers...  Once again you need to document.  Keep track of what the teacher is or is not doing.  If the administration is not helping, then once again ask your parents to get involved.  Also, find other students who feel the same way as you.  After getting your parents permission ask to speak at a school board meeting.  

I admire you for being concerned enough to do something.  I wish you all the best and please keep me posted.

Barb K
Www.LessonPop.com

As a last option, you can go to the newspaper with your findings.  Once again, make sure you have your parents permission.

3
0

EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
AHHHHHH!!   Love your attitude.  Take action which you are doing.  
If you go to www.stopbullyingwithedie.com there is a free cyberbullying report that will give some general guidelines on actions to take.
As I do the research for my book, Stop Bullying with Edie, I am discovering that there are many administration offices ignoring or contributing to the problem.   Just keep going up the chain.  
Go to the principal...no action?  The superintendent.    Then the board of education.   NUMBERS helps so if many of you show up, that helps to be heard.  Have facts.   Document actual events that have happened and how they were handled so you go with concrete evidence and don't come off with general comments or whining.  
Let me know if I can help.  There are a ton of articles and blogs on my site.
Help yourself!!
Start a campaign.  I have free bracelets on my site to help in your efforts.
Let me know how else I can help!
Edie

4
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Help yourself!!
Let me know how else I can help!
Edie

1
0
This is ridiculous and I can see why you're a disgruntled student.  

You must get the parents involved, you may want to hold a meeting with the PTA and SGA.  You will need community involvement and raise awareness with the parents of the lower grade schools, they too will want to know what their children will be entering into if changes aren't made and will gladly help.  There are strength in numbers  and the parents along with the community will know best how to address these issues and should be able to bring resolution to these problems.

You should be proud that you are making a stand for your school,  safety and education of yourself and your fellow classmates.

Best Wishes!

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Most of the issues you may have to take to the school board.  DO IT!!
Regarding the bullying, I am the author of Stop Bullying Now, and agree
that the "kids being kids" is a poor excuse to not take action.  
PERSIST.  I have tons of blogs and free articles and reports on my website.  I would print and give them a few.  I was a kind kid....and if aggression is accepted in our kids we end up with a violent society.
I don't your state's rules or school district's policies on bullying but you may want to check that out.  They may have some, but not reinforcing them.  Start a campaign. Be an activist.  I can help connect you with other kids who are.
Take care,   DO KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT!

2
0
cornelia jurkewitz
cornelia jurkewitz , Teacher writes:
Generally, children have no to little input regarding school policy.  My suggestion is toopen discussion with your parents.  Get them to really understand not only the straightforward issues, but also the underlying ones.  They will then surely take it up with the school board.  All schools have parent - teacher meetings.  Hope this will help.  

From my own experience, I can tell you that if one's child is threatened in any way, all parents will act immediatley.

Cornelia

2
0
nickay
nickay writes:
change schools

0
0
Anonymous